This tree-lined road originally commenced at the centre of the Yarra Flats settlement at the junction of Irvine Crescent, Bell Street and Melba Highway (then known as the Woods Point Road). Armstrong Grove was originally a straight road that led to the Tarrawarra Road near the Steels Creek bridge. In the 1960s when the Racecourse was extended the road was realigned via a sharp curve to join the Tarrawarra Road much closer to the township and the western entrance to the Showground.

The road is named after Thomas Armstrong (1818-1892) who, with William Bell, took over the pastoral lease of Gulf Station from John Dickson. Armstrong selected several  blocks of land in Burgoyne and Tarrawarra parishes, some in partnership with his brother-in-law William Bell.

Sources: Yarra Glen and District Historical Society Newsletter, no.21, August 2006