CHRIST CHURCH, Christmas Hills

The Christmas Hills community completed their church in 1892. It was opened by the Venerable Archdeacon Stretch on 23 October. The wooden building was on the eastern side of Ridge Road, almost opposite Muirs bakery. Several pines mark the site today. The first guardians were Mr H. Ashmore and Mr M. Connolly.

The congregation swelled during the summer months when holidaymakers came to the many guesthouses that were scattered along the ridges.

After the Second World War the population diminished and the building fell into disrepair, particularly with termite damage. The Board of Works acquired the property when it was preparing for the Sugarloaf Dam project and the church building was demolished in the early 1980s.