The people of Dixons Creek petitioned for a school in March 1873 and again in June 1874. The Education Department bought one acre from Thomas Bell part of Section 19A on the west side of the Main Rd in Burgoyne parish. A shingle-roofed wooden building 24 feet by 16 feet was opened on 12 June 1875. It was unlined and had no ceiling. Small living quarters were attached for the teacher. It was built on the side of a steep hill, now known as Gulf Hill, on a site that was unfenced.  Cattle grazed around the building.  Attendances averaged 22 in the first year and included some children from Steels Creek. 

The school building was moved to its present site by John (Jack) Hubbard on 21st April, 1916. This block of land was donated by William Bell for the school and a church. The school building had room for forty students and had a two-room residence for the teacher.