High Bow Hill

This landmark to the north of Yarra Glen township is bounded by Melba Highway, Gulf Road and Smedley Lane. In August 1866 four brothers named Williamson, who had migrated from Ayrshire in Scotland in the 1850s, were each granted a licence for an 80 acre block on this hill. They named their new property 'High Bow Hill' which is a Scottish term meaning 'twin-peaked high hill'. It probably also referred to a farm of the same name in their home country in Loudoun Parish, Ayrshire, Scotland.