One of the shortest streets in the town it curves around (as its name suggests) from Symons Street to Bell Street. It is named after John Irvine (1853-1907) who leased the Yarra Flats Hotel from1894 until his death in 1907.

On the north corner of Irvine Crescent and Armstrong Grove Thomas Muncaster Bell built the Yarra Flats Hotel in 1864, a staging post for Cobb and Co coaches and travellers on the Yarra Track. It was demolished in 1998 and has been replaced by Melba Lodge. On the south corner a couple of years later Bell also built the Yarra Flats General Store (now Apple Porch Cottage). From 1886 until the 1930s cattle sale yards occupied the southern side of Irvine Crescent.