JUNCTION HOTEL (1872-1935)

The Junction Hotel was built on the corner of the Eltham-Yarra Glen Road and the Steels Creek Road.  Edward Cullis was granted a license on 11 September 1872. Thomas Trott was licensee in 1880 and Alfred Lowman from 1882 to at least 1885. An application to transfer the license to James Phelan in December 1884 was postponed and it is not known if a new application was made. At this time the hotel contained eight rooms.  Sam Smith held the license from December 1888 until his death in 1905. In August 1935 the building was still owned by the Smith family, but no longer used as a hotel, when it was destroyed by fire.