Steels Creek did not get a school building until 1886 although it is believed that a school was conducted on the goldfields in a tent during the 1860s. Prior to the issue of any land titles a one acre site for the school had been reserved adjacent to a block taken up by William Hubbard. Requests for a school were made to the Department of Education in 1884 when some of the children were travelling long distances to schools at Yarra Flats and Dixons Creek. 

A portable building was erected late in 1885 and the school was officially opened on 25 June 1886 with Mr Edward Morris as head teacher. He remained at the school until his retirement in 1922 and became a key figure in the community.