TARRAWARRA (property)

In 1893 Woolcott sold View Hill to David Syme, owner and editor of The Age newspaper (Melbourne) who renamed the property Tarrawarra. Syme's daughter Lucie and her husband William C Macalister lived initially at Elm Cottage. Macalister oversaw extensive further developments and built up a major enterprise in the supply of horses to the Indian Army. A new house was built for the Macalisters in 1901 and is now part of the Cistercian Tarrawarra Abbey.

Demand for farming land, particularly after the First World War, resulted in subdivision and the former View Hill station was gradually broken up. Following Macalister, the various owners included Mr Edwick (1923), Keith Aikman (1925), Charles McDonald (1929) and William Houghton (1945).

Sources: YGDHS Newsletter, no.40, August 2011; Michael Casey, Tarrawarra Abbey, 2008