A Methodist Church was opened at Steels Creek in December 1886. It measured 28 by 20 feet and was built by Mr A. J. Hubbard who donated his services free of charge. The first services on Sunday 12 December were conducted by Reverend G. Hounsell. Funds were required for the cost of materials and other building requirements. In November of the following years an anniversary picnic was held which was followed by a concert in aid of the building fund.

Band of Hope meetings were held on Saturday evenings presided over by Mr Hubbard who conducted the meetings in his usual humourous style. The programme included humourous and instructive skits, recitations and songs. Participants included members of the Friar, Hubbard, Fletcher, Morris and Gordon families.