YERING (parish)

Yering is a parish in the present Shire of Yarra Ranges. It was surveyed and named by draftsman Thomas H. Nutt in 1841 under instruction from the colonial surveyor, Robert Hoddle. The Yarra River forms a barrier between it and the parish of Burgoyne and township of Yarra Glen to the north. Its history is closely related to that of Yarra Glen since the establishment of a pastoral lease by the Ryrie brothers in 1838 which they named 'Yering'.

 In 1850 Ryrie sold 'Yering' to Paul de Castella (1827-1903) and Adolphe de Meuron (1827-1869). They were joined by another Swiss in 1852, Frederic Guillaume de Pury (1831-1890). In 1852 the area was subdivided into closer settlement blocks attracting others to the area, including Robert Laidlaw (1816-1907), John Gardiner, John Kerr (1832-1927) and Thomas McIntyre (1803-1861).

A school was established in October 1869 and the railway and railway station were opened in 1888.